Home  Agendas and Minutes  Assessments  Brush Collection
Code of Ordinances  Crime Stoppers  Driving Directions  Elections
Town Information  Forms/Licenses/Permits  Garbage/Recycling  Lakes
Links  News & Announcements  Parks  Soccer/Daleo Fields
Taxes  Utilities  Westport Weather  Zoning

Tips and Helpful Info  Trails  North Mendota Energy & Technology Park                       

Town of Westport
Kennedy Administration Building
5387 Mary Lake Road
Waunakee, WI 53597


Phone No. 608/849-4372
Fax No. 608/849-9657

Regular Office Hours*:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday     
7:30 a.m. - Noon on Fridays

*The office will be closed if Waunakee Schools are closed due to road conditions.

Click for Up-to-Date Westport Weather 


Ella Wheeler Wilcox



WHEN: May 10, 2014 from 10:00am-2:00pm


WHERE: On Easy Street between Highway I and River Rd.




WHY: The Town of Westport, in conjunction with Dane County, will be hosting a day of public archeology. Archeologist Phil Salkin and staff will be leading the public in an archeological dig at the site of the 1853 Ella Wheeler Wilcox home on Easy Street between Highway I and River Road.  Ella Wheeler Wilcox was a poetess in the late 1800s and early 1900s who wrote the lines "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone."

The day will include a lecture on archeology, looking for artifacts such as pottery shards, uncovering the Wilcox home foundation, and mapping the archeological site. 

This family-friendly event is open to the public. Wear clothes that can get dirty and come join in at any time during the day. A tent with tables and chairs will be available for picnicking.




Ella Wheeler Wilcox Event Flier





Click Here For Information About Requesting Public Records


Contact Us*
*Click on underscored names to send e-mail.  All e-mail sent to the Town of Westport is subject to the Wisconsin open records law.

Thomas G. Wilson*,
Town Attorney/Administrator/Clerk-Treasurer  

Robert C. Anderson
Utility, Finance & Information Systems Manager

Michelle M. Kumar,*
Executive Assistant

Claire K. Herritz,*
Office Assistant/Receptionist

Tim Ziegler,
Highway/Maintenance Foreman
Tom Flaig,
Highway/Maintenance Assistant


608/849-4372 ext. 214

608/849-4372 ext. 222

608/849-4372 ext. 213

608/849-4372 ext. 215
608/849-4372 ext. 215

Click to view the contact information for the Town Board or Plan Commission Members

From History of Dane County, Author Unknown, Circa 1885.

    "The Town of Westport derives its name from Westport, Ireland, from which place many of its early settlers came.  The Town is watered by the Yahara River, which enters the northeast part of the Town on Section 13, and flows southwesterly into Lake Mendota, and also by Six Mile Creek which enters the Town on the northwestern part, on Section 6, flows southeasterly and empties into the Catfish on Section 27. The northeastern part of Westport is prairie land, the central and southeasterly portions marsh, and the remaining parts oak openings and prairie. Lake Mendota covers a part of five sections on the southern part.  Louis Montandon, a Frenchman, and Edward Boyles, an Irishman, were the first settlers in the Town, coming here in the fall of 1845. They built their cabin on Section 20. In 1848, a number of others came in, among whom were Messrs. Burdick, Tower, Bradbury, Rodgers, O'Malley, Collins, Fitzgibbon and Ruddy. Still later came Matthew Roach, P.R. Tierney, J. Welsh, William O'Keefe, Lawrence O'Keefe and Martin Reade. Although the first settlers were mostly Irish, and that nationality predominates at this time, a large number of Americans, Germans, Norwegians and representatives of other nations, have made here their homes.  In the central part of the Town is a Catholic Church building, built in 1860, by the Rev. P. J. Lavans.  One of the State's hospitals for the insane is located within the Town, on the north bank of Lake Mendota, and in plain view of Madison.  Westport is the home of Miss Ella Wheeler, whose poems are read by thousands in all parts of the land.  On Six Mile Creek is a grist-mill, built by E. D. Churchill, in 1860, who sold to William Packbrom, who ran it until 1876, when it was sold to John Bowerman. The Town is well supplied with quarries, and the cream stone, used in the building of the Government Court House and Post Office in Madison, was obtained from the quarry on Section 11, and which the United States government purchased for that purpose. The stone was exhibited and much admired at the Centennial, as were also some of the other products of the Town. A branch of the Chicago & North-Western Railway passes through the town, from northwest to southeast, with Mendota station on the hospital farm, and Waunakee on Section 5 and 8, on the northwest. The Town was, on March 31, 1849, set off from Vienna, and organized on the third Monday of April of that year, by the election of the following among other officers: Thomas R. Hill, Chairman; W. W. Wells, Martin Reade, Supervisors; William Keefe, Clerk; Lawrence Rodgers, Treasurer; Amos Rodders, Assessor. The first election was held at the house of Michael Malege. It has for its territory Township 8 north, of Range 9 east, except so much as is covered by the waters of Lake Mendota, which is a part of the City of Madison."

Website designed by JL Enterprises 2004 (last updated 04/24/14)